Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My first mammogram




The suggested age to get a first mammogram (providing there's no family history) is 40.  Since I hit that milestone last August, I scheduled to get my first mammogram.  While I had heard from others what it was like, I really was not prepared for how it really was.




They set you up before you go inside.  "The Retreat" sounds like you're going in for a massage or something.
 


It doesn't look so bad does it? Nice and clean and white.  Almost friendly...Almost.



Then they turn it THIS way!  By the way, I had to face forward even though the machine was at this angle.

Some key things to know if you're experiencing this for the first time..

* Do not wear deodorant or powder.  You will be asked to remove it.

* "flat as a pancake" is relevant.

* while your ta-tas are being smooshed, you will be asked to HOLD YOUR BREATH!

* just when you think you are pressed as flat as they can be, they will push the down button once more

* you might want to practice standing with your ta-tas to your extreme left or right while keeping your toes facing forward while holding your breath.

While I am making lite of this, I certainly don't take this test for granted.  It is a HUGE way of catching the horrible and nasty breast cancer.  I have had friends who have had to suffer from this disease and be taken from their families way too soon. 

After all of that, I received a letter in the mail saying "We are pleased to inform you that the results of your screening indicate no suspicion of breast cancer".  I do not take this for granted and am so thankful for the blessings that God gives me.  Including the clear bill of health for breast cancer.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

 

 










No comments:

Post a Comment