Tuesday, November 13, 2012

"Hey mom, can I show you something?"

That's how a conversation started tonight with my daughter, Shelby.  Everyone else had left the dinner table and it was just us.  She put her hand on my shoulder and said "I want to show you something".  As she went to get the computer, I sat, happily, waiting.  See Shelby is a teenager and to say that we don't always see "eye to eye" these days is an understatement.  We seem to have a lot more confrontational moments.  It's not how I like or would prefer it to be, but it is how things are.  Raising a teenager, for me, has been very emotionally draining for me.  So, when she wants me attention, I give it to her fully and say a prayer of Thanks that she still wants to share with me.

On this night she wanted to show me some YouTube videos.  She is doing speech this year and has been looking up spoken word poetry.  She showed me several videos.  Videos I knew she liked.  To be honest, I liked them too.  I can completely see Shelby doing spoken word.  She is an amazing speaker and can present herself to an audience very well.  She never lacks for words.  The last video she showed me brought me to tears.  It gives me hope and comfort to carry on.  I'm thankful for the moments that happened tonight. 


I'm so thankful for the family God has given me.  Even when it is hard to carry on and not give up..because, BELIEVE ME..there are days that giving up seems to be so much easier.. God gives me moments like I had tonight with Shelby.  Just what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment