Friday, May 18, 2012

"Get to" not "Have to"

We spent last Sunday serving at church.  That's nothing new for us.  We spend most Sunday mornings serving at church.  As I was serving, the idea of "get to" vs "have to" popped into my mind.  I remembered that I "get to" serve at our church.  I also remembered why I do it.  It's not for the honor of my peers.  It's so that others will be fed and led to Jesus. 

Sometimes when I do something I do it with the "have to" mentality.  To be honest, there's little I "have to" do.  I have to eat.  That's not an option.  I have to drink, again not an option.  Most other things I "get to" do.  I "get to" drive my children around to where they need to be.  I "get to" support them in all they do.  I "get to" clean my house.  I "get to" cook dinner for my family.  When I remember that so much of what I "get to" do is fleeting, it really puts things in perspective for me and makes me thankful that I do get the chance to do all of these things.  There will be a day in the all too near future, when my kids will be out of our house.  I'm reminded of that everytime we make future plans for our oldest. My life will change and I don't want to look back and be sad that I didn't "get to" do more for them or that I didn't "get to" be there more for them. 

I want to live in the moment that I've been given and know that I am blessed I "get to" live this life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment